Peak Flow Meter for Asthma Management
Regular use of the peak flow meter establishes a "normal" range for an individual's exhalation rate. A reduction in this rate can provide early indication of an asthma attack and help ensure timely intervention.
- Peak Flow Meter for asthma management
Our client was looking to develop a low-cost peak flow meter that would boost their profile in the asthma management market.
The peak flow meter is a device used by asthmatics to monitor lung function.
Our design challenge was to generate a design concept that would provide:
- A low cost manufacture in high volume
- Stylish appearance to appeal to the youth market
- Compliances with AS4237:1994 for accuracy
- Pocket or palm size for easy storage
Invetech was initially engaged to provide design advice on a number of prototype units that the client had manufactured. After analysis it was concluded that early prototypes could not be modified to achieve the important Australian Standard accuracy requirements.
Invetech's role was expanded to go back to basics and generate new concepts that would achieve the specifications, then engineer the product to prototype level.
Our solution was developed to satisfy all specification items, with a focus on the ergonomics of use and manufacturing cost. Testing indicated the accuracy and repeatability exceeded the standard requirements.
The final result incorporated delicate mechanical parts in a robust consumer-friendly package. Additionally, the device:
- Enabled customizable scale for individual requirements
- Included Ideal logarithmic response of indicator position vs. peak flow rate gives sensitivity at important lower end of the scale
- Met all applicable standards for accuracy and repeatability