Bio-Rad Laboratories: BioPlex® 2200 – Fully Automated Immunoassay Instrument Development
Invetech was approached to provide turnkey instrument development and contract manufacture for a fully automated immunoassay instrument capable of up to 2200 results per hour.
- Bio-Rad Laboratories
(Hercules, CA - USA)
- BioPlex® 2200
Building on our client's magnetic bead technology we developed the instrument concept, designed and developed a high throughput random access instrument, combining multiplex immunoassay detection and state-of-the-art control software, providing high throughput random access assays with extraordinary flexibility and performance.
Our integrated team of designers, scientists and engineers, focused on:
- Concept generation, including thorough ergonomic design and incorporating end user input, ensured convenient front access for all operator interactions
- Hardware development (including fluidics, robotics, heating, cooling and magnetic separation)
- Software for control, sample scheduling and service
- Prototype build, test and qualification (44 units)
- Chemistry testing and instrument verification
- Ongoing instrument production in-house
Effective communications and a solid understanding of user needs were critical to success. Each stage of the project focused on the design and commissioning of a prototype iteration. Each prototype iteration supported assay development and incrementally added to instrument features, performance and ultimate reliability.
Key features included:
- Magnetic bead incubation, agitation, washing and separation
- Reagent pack refrigeration (40C)
- Real-time control of 40+ robots & pumps to provide random access processing
- Capability of delivering 2200 results/hour up to 22 results per specimen and 100 specimens/hour + STAT capability
The instrument was transferred to our in-house manufacturing facility for pilot production with the support of our project team. On-going assistance for the in-production instrument design is also provided.
A breakthrough in clinical diagnostic technology, opening up a new clinical market for our client.
This fully automated random access multiplexed testing system offers significant laboratory cost savings through consolidation, efficiency and reduced time to result.
The result is a ground breaking diagnostics instrument that
- Improves workflow efficiency
- Improves testing and diagnostic outcomes
- Improves turnaround time for test results
- Greatly increases testing capacity